A blog that documents and promotes exhibitions curated by Joetta Maue.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Play- Part 2

Today, I will feature the 3 more "site specific" installations in Play.


Kathryn Greenwood Swanson's bird piece was recreated and scaled down in order to be included in the exhibit. Kathryn could not be there to install the work and I was beyond nervous about the time and effort of installing such a piece- but she made it beyond easy. Truth be told what should have been the hardest piece to install was actually one of the easiest. Thank you Kathryn.

It also is definitely a star in the exhibit taking up the space by the window just beautifully...




2nd is the work Primary Colors by Mary March who came in a week before the show, all the way from San Francisco, to install this new work. She designed the work specifically with the Textile Arts Center in mind - taking advantage of its gorgeous windows and its emphasis on weaving.

These shots were taken before the opening so do not display how it filled up with stories over the evening. Mary created hundreds of hand drawn images on canvas to be woven into the piece so that the viewer could add their personal story to the piece. Tomorrow I will be heading to the gallery and will be sure to take some pictures of the now activated piece.

As you can see Mary's piece looks gorgeous in the window with sunlight streaming in. The last site specific work that was done was an idea of my making of combining the work of Maggy Rozycki Hiltner and Mallory Feltz.

Mallory who did the work of the stuffed animals in plexi boxes was in my last exhibit at the Textile Center and Maggy is someone who's work I have admired for quite awhile now and... when I saw the 2 pieces I wanted to include them both but Maggy's Shop for America was sooo long it took most of the wall and since the ceilings are so high seemed like it would not feel as lively as I would like. So with the permission of both artists I installed them together to make what I think is a fun and exciting collaboration.

More images and details of all this coming your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment